Friday, March 20, 2009

Juggling

I don't think that a writer or anyone else can work without juggling (metaphorically). For one thing, in the real world, we generally have to do a whole lot of waiting before we can do work. If I'm an advertiser for a company, I can't make any ads for a product until it's made. In the mean time, I have other ads that I need to work on for different products.

Another reason to juggle is to relax. I have an obligation to write at least enough comics to maintain my update schedule, so I can't get around that. The problem is that doing the same thing all day, every day is boring and draining. I need to do something else with my life to give me a break. The beauty, though, is that I can give myself a break from writing comics by writing something else. I have at least five different stories that I'm working on. None of them have due dates or obligations. They are projects that I work on for my own pleasure. When one of them is developed and thorough enough (and when I have enough time), I may turn it into an obligation, but in the mean time, it is leisure.

Juggling also helps us keep interested. If I have four projects for school or work and they all require a lot of work, I can either do one of them all the way through before moving on to the next one or I can do a little bit at a time for each of them. This is wholly a matter of preference, but I find that if I work on one project long enough, I start to day dream or get antsy. My mind is forcing me to do something other than work on it. If I switch over to another project, I am simultaneously goofing off (on the first project) and being productive (by working on the other ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment