Monday, March 30, 2009

Communication

I'm a thinker. I think about everything and everything. It's a good asset for a writer, being able to come up with scenarios and figuring out how to deal with them. Unfortunately, there are times when I think about some pretty unpleasant scenarios.

What would you do if you lost your legs? What would you do if you lost your sight? What would you do if you lost the use of your dominant hand? The list goes on.

When I think about a scenario, I throw myself into it. I put my full mind and heart into it; I approach it as though it has actually happened and I now have to deal with it (kinda like method acting).

One of the first things I ask myself is what I'm going to do with my life? A lot of disabilities are surprisingly disabling. I love doing martial arts, and losing almost any ability makes it extremely difficult to practice. I love playing video games and not having the use of my hands would pretty much take that away from me. In fact, not having the use of my hands would make almost everything impossible to do.

And yet, I could still write. If I couldn't use my hands, I could still use my voice. We have software that can type what a person says. If I couldn't use my voice, I could use my eyes. We also have software that can track eye movement for the purposes of communication.

It seems that communication is the primary function of humanity. No matter what, the first thing we as humans try to do is communicate with other humans (and sometimes with animals). Since writing is simply communication, then no matter what you can and can't do, you will always be able to communicate, thus you you will always be able to write.

I think that writing is a truly amazing profession (or hobby or whatever else it may be) because it is, at its core, communication and it can be done by anyone at any place for as long as we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment