Sunday, February 22, 2009

Writing as Energy

Some days I spend 10 hours sleeping, then wake up, feel tired, and go back to sleep for another 2 hours. When I get up, I'm still tired, but I can't sleep anymore. I turn on my TV, and watch whatever is on, still not getting out of bed. Not long after that, I get tired and sleep for another few hours. Before I know it, the day is over and I did absolutely nothing.

Other days, I get up in the early morning, go to my classes, go into town to do chores, go to a meeting, read chapters from several books, take notes on those books, write 5 pages worth of assorted homework, and I would still have time and energy to do more.

Internal energy is extremely weird to me. The more you use, the more you have. Of course there is a certain amount of recharging needed. The body does need food and sleep. But doing work makes you want to do more work. Doing nothing only makes you want to keep doing nothing. It doesn't balance out the way other things normally do (like gas in your car, the more you use, the less you have).

Writing, or at least thinking, seems to be the same way as energy. I find that once I start thinking, I can't stop. One idea leads into another. But sometimes the logic isn't that direct. Sometimes while writing down an idea I think is funny or interesting, another idea will pop into my head that I think is also very funny.

When I don't write, or even don't think in general very much, it's not so much that I don;t get ideas, but I never investigate them and I certainly don't write them down, which means that I will quickly forget them (the equivalent to them not existing at all).

I am very happy to be keeping this blog. It forces me to think and write every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment