Monday, February 2, 2009

Why vs. Why Not

Among the people I have met, I have generally been able to categorize them into two categories: Why and Why not. Whenever I share my creative thoughts, they will reply with one of those two answers. They come from such different worlds, but both have such strengths.

The Why people are grounded in reality. Creative ideas are ones that are not common, so these people need to know exactly how and these concepts work and why they exist at all. They will make sure that whatever I create is approachable, reachable, understandable, etc. If the audience just doesn't get it, then why are you bothering to share it with them?

The Why Not camp is the exact opposite of grounded. They float freely in the realm of possibility. All ideas are equally valid and should be explored. These people allow the mind to create, to try new things, to find out what is possible, but isn't done. If you are giving the audience what it has already seen countless times, why are they going to care about you over anybody else?

In the debate between these to sides, I find myself firmly planted on the fence. I have to give both sides due respect for having valid points, even though they somewhat contradict each other. This is why I think the middle ground is the best place to take on the issue. If your ideas are too unfocused or disjointed, you can't expect the audience to take the trip with you. If they are too obvious or simple, the audience won't care enough to raise you above the rest of the hundreds of thousands of starving artists.

As for the process itself, I start with the why not, then go to the why. I find it fun for creating and for mental exercise. Try to create the oddest thing you can think of; try to come up with two things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Once you have this abomination of thought, find out why this abomination exists, how it could happen, and what it does. When you can create something that doesn't normally exist and then explain it so thoroughly that we accept its existence, you have an idea worth developing and worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment