Thursday, February 19, 2009

Three Problems

I have a theory about people. If a person has three different problems, they will balance each other out. Having one or two can lead to severe problems, but three seems to make for a relatively stable life, like a table and its legs. Let’s use me as an example.

My first problem is that I am extremely picky. There are extremely few things that catch my interest in the first place. My second problem is that I have an addictive personality. So once I find something that I do like, I won’t do anything else. My third problem is that I get bored very easily. After I obsess over one thing for long enough, it stops being interesting, and I have to start the whole process over again.

There are two ways to live with these three problems. One is to jump from obsession to obsession. This could certainly work if done properly, but seeing as how I prefer the security of a steady life, it isn’t good enough for me. That is why I had to find the second way to live, which is to find something that is flexible and malleable enough to take all the beatings of my three problems and still be viable. Writing does exactly that.

I’m very picky. Writing gives me a plethora of options. I could write short stories, flash fiction, nonfiction, essays, poetry, plays, and countless other forms. When I pick one of those forms, I can write and write and write and it will always be as original and interesting as I am. When I stop being interesting, I won’t want to write in the field anymore. But writing itself isn’t boring, just the kind of writing I’m doing. I can change from writing poetry to writing flash fiction and rekindle that excitement and obsession. Even if I don’t change the form, I can change my subject material, from super heroes to space exploration or from spelunking to carpentry.

Because writing is a world unto itself, it will never run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment