Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Writing Is About People

More often than not, I am writing about people.  Things we think, see, do, etc.  Although this is a blog about writing, I am rarely talking about very technical aspects of writing.  I do this for two reasons.

1. It is a thinly-veiled pretense by which I can write about my thoughts and experiences, but still fit it in my blog's guidelines of being about writing.

2. Writing is all about people!

Point number two kind of overrides point number one.  Writing is absolutely all about people.  Characters in stories are people.  Stories themselves are about the things people think, do, say, and the situations that people find themselves in, along with how they handle those situations.

Even if a story is not about people, there are still people involved: you.  The audience is people. A story affects an audience.  Therefore, as a writer, you must understand as much as you can about people so that you can affect your audience in exactly the way you wish.

My writing is done through the lens of life. That's why it says so under Cheff Salad.  And it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment