Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Power of A Single Sentence

Sometimes we get the feeling that, in order to properly express a thought, we need to go in depth to show it. If you want to make sure that the audience knows that a character has a mustache, you have to devote at least a paragraph explaining the qualities of his facial hair. I find this to be the opposite of what is needed.

When I read, sometimes a single sentence can be extremely powerful. If a given fact is important, it simply needs to be stated; its importance will either be immediately obvious or will become obvious when the other important facts are stated.

There are times where I am reading and I want to go back and reread a passage to make sure I got it right. Usually, it becomes very difficult to find the passage I'm looking for because it is so small. The scene that I recall so vividly was only a three-line paragraph. I reread it in the blink of an eye.

I'm not sure if this quality is specific to me or if it is more universal. I consider myself a slow and careful reader, but I think that writing should cater to careful readers. That's why writers should use shorter sentences and not dwell on points, instead keeping the action moving forward. It's also why you should never underestimate the power of a single sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment