Thursday, February 11, 2010

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

One of the drawbacks of writing is that it can't be heard. There is so much meaning that is added through tone and emphasis that understanding what the author intends can be difficult. I think the most frustrating example is sarcasm. When the words say the exact opposite of what you truly mean, people mostly think you're confused or crazy.

That is why I like to read things as though I'm saying them. Even if I am not speaking them out loud, I still do it in my head. When I do this, I can better figure out what the author is trying to say. Sometimes I have to read a sentence two or three times, but it is worth it because my comprehension will make up for that.

If you're the writer, you have probably had a point where you wanted to write something, but were afraid that it would be misunderstood. That's a good fear to have. If your gut is telling you that a passage could be confusing, then you should just rewrite it. Alternatively, you could add a followup sentence that better explains your point, but then you are spending far more words than a simple rewrite would take.

In general, people will read a passage in a way that feels most natural (meaning the way it would be casually spoken). If you want to word something in a nonstandard way, you certainly can, but it tends to be more difficult to read and comprehend. If you don't want to be misunderstood, then write simply and naturally. Unless you are going for a particular style, it's the safest bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment