Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Create Definite Worlds

I've been collecting a list of the bad habits of timid writers. I consider myself fortunate that I have a regular supply to add. Of course, I would feel more fortunate if that supply wasn't coming from me. Today's entry of things not to do is being vague.

I have a bad habit of being indefinite. I rationalize it by saying that it leaves things open for when I want to make the decision later. If I decide that a character is a man and later realize it would be better if that character was a woman, it would be a serious pain trying to make that change. Instead, I can just have a character be a genderless blank until I decide which gender is right.

The reality of this is that I'm just being timid. I'm afraid to make a decision and I avoid it until I absolutely have to. And if there's a way to not have to make a decision, I know I will leave it ambiguous. The problem with this is that ambiguity takes away the power of a story. Instead of writing about "the local coffee shop", name it. Name everything that should have one (especially characters). If you can see how a building is laid out, present it in your descriptions. If you're being vague because you aren't sure what the answer is, then make it up.

Sure, it would be a real pain in the butt to make a drastic change that would alter the entirety of what you've already written. But you know what? That's why pencils have erasures and computers have delete keys. Sometimes it just happens that way. Writing isn't supposed to be easy. Even if it comes easily to you, it shouldn't be too easy. Put in some hard work and make a concrete world.

People like concrete worlds. It gives them something to hold on to. It gives them somewhere to escape to and learn about. If you create something particularly good, you may even find your fans cataloging the lore of your story. They'll make maps and keep track of important facts and actions. Look at Lord of the Rings; it's a classic example of a very concrete world and people really sinking their teeth into it. How many generic, poorly-defined worlds can you remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment