Sunday, November 15, 2009

Professional Doodling

I have no artistic ability. I can draw a draw a decent-looking cube, but that's about it. If you saw me try to draw a person, or even a flower, you'd think a twelve-year-old made it (actually, that would be a compliment). When I draw, I call it doodling because I don't think it's good enough to call it a drawing. Professional artists also doodle, but when they do it, they are doing some professional doodling.

I've noticed the same thing in other fields. When a professional martial artist throws a simple kick, it is still a very good kick. There is solid form and technique, even though the person wasn't being serious. When a professional singer hums a few bars of a song, they still belt it out with great tone.

What really surprised me was a conversation I was having with friends once. Without realizing it, I ended up going on a rant so long that it can best be described as a speech. When I finally finished everything I had to say, one of my friends started clapping. I felt embarrassed because I never talk very much and I was just realizing how long I had been speaking. When he started saying how amazing that speech was, I thought he was making fun of me. But then everybody else started nodding their heads and agreeing with him.

I guess I'm no exception to the rule. Whatever you train yourself to do, it becomes a part of your body. It runs through your blood, attaches to your muscle, carves a space in your brain. You can't turn it off ever. When you reach a professional level of skill, even your doodles will be professional doodling.

No comments:

Post a Comment