Sunday, November 8, 2009

Don't Get Too Comfortable

Comfort is important when writing. If you're uncomfortable, whether it be because of slouching, an uncomfortable seat, or or any other problem, you'll end up spending more time readjusting yourself than actually writing.

The problem with comfort, though, is that it is possible to become too comfortable. I love sitting in a soft, cushy chair with my feet up on a table. If I sit like that for too long, I'll eventually fall asleep.

What I have found, though, is that if you are just slightly uncomfortable, it keeps you on focus. If you're sitting in a a chair that isn't painful, but isn't particularly pleasant, you won't fall asleep, but you won't need to readjust yourself either.

Another trick I've found is that if you drink a cup of tea or water as you write, that I have to pee feeling slowly creeps up on you. It is the same kind of discomfort where maving around doesn't help, but you definitely will not be too relaxed. The nice thing about having to pee is that I always want to write one more paragraph before I go through the process of getting up, going, coming back, and resttling.

Getting comfortable is nice. You get into a literal groove and you can write and write and write. Just don't get too comfortable. That's when you get lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment