Friday, October 16, 2009

Write What You Want to Write the Most

Professional writers will say that writing isn't always fun. Sometimes it is difficult, unpleasant, and maddening. Sometimes when we finish a project, we're so sick of it that we don't even feel rewarded for having done it. This is a travesty. Writing should never become such a burden.

The problem most people have with writing is the feeling of "I have to do this." They aren't allowed to write anything else until they finish their current project. That's what leads you to hate yourself and your craft. You should write what you want to write the most.

For example, I write in this blog every day. Some days, I really just don't want to do it. I sit at my computer and just have no drive or energy to blog. Then, while trying to think of something to write, I get an idea for a short story. So you know what I do? I pull up a word document and start writing down that short story idea and playing with it. Now I am writing and enjoying it. If, in the middle of writing that short story, I get an idea for something to blog about, then I will switch over and start writing a post.

I always recommend this method. It also has you doing the most enjoyable thing, which will keep you at the happiest you can be. The only reason to not use this method is when you're on a deadline. When something has to get done and you don't have time to screw around, then you really shouldn't be screwing around.

If you write for a newspaper and your article is due tomorrow, then get your article done by tonight. However, if you stop being productive, then do something that makes you productive. Just like my blog, even though it needs to get done, staring at the screen and not writing anything isn't useful. By starting work on something else that engages my mind, it gets me revved up for doing the work that I have to get done.

If you have an obligation that is just unfun to do, then you have to grin and bear it. But in any other situation, do what makes you happy, no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes thats how it is.

    Sometimes, the deadline's due, and your program still have this bug, and it needs to be fixed. Computer programming gets a little bit of leeway here because a hackjob that works in this isn't gonna matter that much. End users don't generally see the source code.

    Sometimes, the problem you're trying to solve is boring, or you can't figutr out an elegant way to solve it and you just have to use a lot of manpower.

    Sometimes the language semantics aren't right to express the problem (different languages have different paradigms which make solving some problems easier or harder depending... Although modern languages can solve any problem, its a lot easier to solve problems with big numbers if that functionality is built in already, for example), and that can be frustrating.

    Obligations, however, are obiligations.

    Which reminds me, I have an essay to write

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete