Friday, October 2, 2009

Out of Body Experiences

There is a group of Buddhist monks who believe that one can only experience enlightenment during activities where we lose control of our body. Some of the ways to do that are not pleasant, like sneezing or dying. Some are far more pleasant, like deep meditation.

I've always been fascinated with this idea of losing control. Partly because I like having control over my body. Partly because I have experienced the loss of self. In fact, I have left my body while reading and writing.

I first experienced it with reading. In fact, it still happens sometimes. When I'm reading a truly engaging book, it actually becomes a movie that plays right behind my eyes. I see scenes and characters acting and interacting. Sometimes I can even hear their different voices.

What's interesting to me, though, is that I am simultaneously reading and not reading. While the movie is playing, I must be reading the words and turning the pages because the story continues to play. However, I have no recollection of reading the words or turning the pages; I simply remember the experience of the story.

Writing occasionally has a similar effect. I will admit it is far rarer in writing. For one thing, it is impossible to do longhand because I'm too slow. Even when I am on my computer, I am usually thinking about the next sentence or how to word things the right way, so I never get lost in my writing.

It has happened though. I have written pages in a single sitting, experiencing the story as I am creating it. Every time I approach the point where I don't know what will happen next, my brain gives me the next idea and I keep on going. It gives me just enough to never run out of ideas, but never be overburdened by them either.

When you write, seek these out of body experiences. I don't think I have ever found enlightenment from them, but I have gotten some very good ideas. If nonthing else, give yourself an experience you've never encountered before. As a writer, new experiences are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment