Sunday, October 4, 2009

Stick to Your Convictions

I went to a philharmonic concert tonight. I enjoy going to concerts, but I hate the people who go to them. Mostly it's because they're uneducated.

The number one offender in my eye is the standing ovation. Nowadays, people will stand up at the end of every song if you let them. That's like giving every entry in the science fair a blue ribbon. The point of a standing ovation is that you do it when a performance is jaw-droppingly fantastic. It has to be beyond flawless. The very fact that you applaud is good enough when the concert is good enough. When the concert is so good that applause isn't adequate, that's when you stand.

But, as I have said, people are largely uneducated. As such, they stand for everything. I refuse to join the crowd. Occasionally people have the gall to glower at me for standing in my seat. When they do, I glower right back at them. If they feel the need to start up with me, I will start up with them. I know I'm right and I will stick to my convictions ten times out of ten.

So what does this have to do with writing? The point is that there are some things that you just know are right. There aren't a whole lot of them, since most things are debateable and subjective, but there are a few universal principles. If somebody challenges you on something that you truly believe, stand up for yourself. Convictions are few and far between. If you have any, hold them dear and take care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment