Monday, April 26, 2010

Love Your Knowledge

Being an observer, you end up learning a lot of things you wouldn't necessarily learn on your own. Sometimes it may disturb or disgust you, but you shouldn't reject that knowledge. Love it.

I don't do drugs, but I've heard enough people talk about them that I know a lot of the lingo and customs. Sometimes it strikes me as odd how much I know about drugs for somebody who doesn't do them. What gets even odder is when drugs come up in conversation and I start using my in-depth knowledge to somebody who never would have guessed that I would know so much about the subject. The usual assumption is that I must do drugs in order to know so much. But it's wrong. I'm just a good observer.

And although it can be annoying to get the looks and stares that come with knowledge of unpleasant things, you still should love it. Love that you're informed. Love that you know more than other people do. Love that you are aware of things outside of your personal world and that you will be far better equipped to describe them in your writing.

1 comment:

  1. Knowledge on illegal things is always good. I've always thought that information should be freely available, even if there are costs associated with it.

    People are going to do drugs, have sex, drink, steal, murder, etc. You can't stop the destructive side of human nature (sex is arguably constructive but raising a kid when you don't have the money is stressful), the only thing you can do is get people informed on how to these things safer.

    Have sex? Use a condom. Use drugs? Don't share needles. Drink? Make sure there's a care taker and do it responsibly. Murder someone? Not while people are watching, and make sure you use a tarp to catch the blood if you're choosing a violent means...

    err... yeah.

    ReplyDelete