Monday, January 11, 2010

Hiding Behind Pages

An odd curiosity I have noticed about many writers is that they would love to become famous for their writing, but absolutely hate to make public appearances. They spend hours trying to create the perfect, most powerful words they can, but if asked to read those words aloud, get stage fright bad enough to pass out.

It has always seemed to me that these writers are hiding behind their pages. Whether it be a fear of others, a lack of self-confidence, or any other reason, I don't like it. I know that I have been the same way and, truth be told, I'm still a pretty shy guy myself. But still, there reaches a point where you have to just take the plunge and be social out there in the great big world.

Sure, it is nice and safe behind your desk, with just you and your paper or computer, but you need to be part of the real world at least a little bit. Our ideas and inspirations come from the real world. If we never put ourselves out there, we are stunting our growth in writing ability. Besides, if youare brave and strong enough to start writing something then see it through to its very end, you are definitely strong enough to go out and be public.

No comments:

Post a Comment