Friday, September 4, 2009

You Are Getting Better

I took the GRE today. The first section of the test is to write two essays. The first essay is writing about a given idea. It is opinionated and can support or deny that idea. The second essay is an analysis of argument. The point is not to argue the point, but to consider how well the argument is made.

Both of these essays are timed. The first is 45 minutes and the second is 30. In that time, I had to read the given idea or argument, formulate what I was going to say, and write it down. I did have enough time to proofread my work when I was done (thank goodness), but multiple drafts were out of the question.

I was perfectly fine on these sections. I didn't like the fact that I was being timed, but I knew that it only took me about a half hour to write a blog (including all the time I usually wasted), which is about the same length as the essays I wrote. That's when the thought occurred to me: I am so lucky that I have been writing these blogs. I have been unwittingly practicing for that section for over eight months. All I ever do is start with an idea or argument and develop it, usually without the luxury of second drafts.

After I finally finished the test, another thought occurred to me: I must be getting better at writing. It seems like a silly thing, but it was significant for me. Writing is a habit; we do it every day. But the thing with everyday activities is that we never notice the slight changes that occur over time. It isn't until we use our skills in a different venue (or by comparing them to people who don't practice as much) that we really see how far we have come.

So, to all of you who practice every day, but still question your abilities, take it from me: you are getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment