Friday, September 18, 2009

Brainstorming Technique: Doodling

Sometimes you look at your paper or computer screen and you just don't know what to write. You need to warm up your mind. You need to start thinking abotu something anything. Once you get your gears moving, they just keep going. One way that I like to get started is by doodling.

Earlier today, I had a notebook and a pencil, but nothing to write. So instead, I just started making lines. I have no artistic talent, so most of the time, I just run my pencil across the page and keep going from there. Eventually some shape I make gets interesting and I start playing with it more.

One of the shapes I drew looked like a Spartan helmet. I always thought they were interesting because of the shape, how they have that nose guard as part of it. Then I remembered a special on the History Channel where they were talking about the Battle of Thermopylae. They said that the Spartans had metal armor, but many of there enemies used wicker armor because they were desert people and metal would have been too hot. That got me thinking about how the armor you wear tells everything about how you fight and where you come from.

Now I have an idea about a warrior whose main ability was to observe his opponents and find their strengths and weaknesses. But if I used my writing prompt technique and made it more general, I have a story idea where a person can profile others based on visual cues.

Now I have an idea. And all it took was doodling on paper, relaxing my mind, and getting my wheels turning. Everybody has their own methods for generating ideas, but if yours aren't working, try doodling.

No comments:

Post a Comment