Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Be Your Own Motivation

So much advice I see for writers is to give yourself deadlines. In fact, I've given the same advice. I know it to be true. Heck, the best part of college was having deadlines all the time. I couldn't not write something every night. Now I'm out of school and don't have any hard deadlines. This blog is a self-imposed deadline, but that's it. However, I still write.

I do not write as much all together as I did in college, but most of that writing was assignments for classes. In college, I did less personal, creative writing than I do now. I never felt strongly enough to write much of anything because if something was important, my teacher would make me write it.

Now I don't have my teachers to force me. I also don't have a job that is forcing me to write creatively. The only thing that makes me write is me. I am my own motivation. I write because I'm a writer and this is how I prove it. I write because I can't stop from coming up with awesome stories and I want to bring them to life. I want to share them with other people. I'd also like to make some money from them.

Deadlines are a wonderful thing, but they're a crutch. If you can't make yourself write because you love to write, then ask yourself why you want to write. Ask yourself why you need a crutch and why you just can't write without it. If you can't come up with respectable answers, maybe you should reconsider why you want to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment